Kids and Technology
Being a coach and protector in the digital world..
The basic message is..
- There are risks
- But you and your kids will probably be fine
What are the risks?
- A real risk
- Porn and Violence
- Rubbish theories
- Social skills
- Not doing what we know they should be doing
Do I know enough?
- You know your kids
- You know about the world, that might be enough
Technology can protect your children from technology. But real protection comes from parenting Engage and talk.
Always good to know more
- Know what your kids are doing
- Know how to access parental controls
Parental controls are everywhere
- Computers and phones
- Video games
- TVs and Streaming Services
- Microsoft Family Safety
- YouTube Kids
- Messenger Kids
- Netflix Kids
- Mobile Phones
What else are they doing?
- Day dreaming
- Very little before 2
- Less than an hour up till five
- They don’t learn
- They don’t get a lot of language
- Quality matters
How much will they use their gadgets? ~ As much as you do!
What do my kids need to know?
- Set passwords
- Keep information private
- They have to know there are dangers and creeps!
Don’t meet up with people you don’t know
They have to behave
- We want you to have a great time on line
- We want you to be safe
- So there are going to be some rules
- What’s not allowed
- What sites and activities
- When and how long
- What to do if you get a fright
- What will happen if you break the rules